[Lac] [Fwd: [governance] Minutes from Geneva WGIG meeting Part 1 - morning Sept 20]

Beatriz Busaniche busaniche at velocom.com.ar
Wed Sep 22 17:22:30 BST 2004

-----Mensaje reenviado-----
From: Bertrand de LA CHAPELLE <lachapelle at openwsis.org>
To: governance at lists.cpsr.org
Subject: [governance] Minutes from Geneva WGIG meeting Part 1 - morning Sept 20
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 17:05:17 +0200

Dear all,

You will find below (formatted word text attached) my non-
official minutes of the interventions made during the four
sessions of the WGIG consultations in Geneva.

I made all efforts to report faithfully the oral comments
presented, focussing on the most salient elements, but no
exhaustivity can be guaranteed and some presentations were
not reported due to my absence from the room. This in
particular unfortunately applies to Wolfgang's presentation,
Olivier Nana Nzepa and Izumi's first presentation.

Dense panel presentations already posted or likely to be
posted on the WGIG web site have not been minuted to keep
this light and focus on oral comments that will not be
available otherwise. This is valid in particular for Bill,
Milton's and Jovan's presentations. I will post these
presentations on a revamped wsis-online Internet governance
section soon.

These minutes will be posted on the wsis-online web
site for easy access.

Any major misrepresentation should be signalled to :
lachapelle at openwsis.org . Participants notes related to
missing parts are welcome.

Bertrand

MINUTES

DR. Tarek Kamel, Minister of Communications and Information
Technology of the Arab Republic of Egypt.

The Internet Governance is the major policy issue in the
WSIS process.

Internet Governance can be understood as diverse layers,
among which  :
•	Management of unique and scarce Internet ressources,
•	Spam, illegal harmful content, multilingualism, Enum,
•	Harmonization of global policies, public access
points, e-ommmerce, data protection
•	Sharing the costs of internet infrastructure

Two different viewpoints :
•	IG matters are rpimarily technical : no need for
governments; private sector approach, “if it ain’t broken,
don’t fix it”
•	IG goes beyond technical management, there are other
policy matters in the province of national sovereignty.

These should not be confrontational viewpoints; both views
should be articulated one with the other.

Interaction between political and technical aspects :
technical issues have political dimensions, and vice versa

These issues cannot be addressed without the participation
of all stakeholders, including civil society and the private
sector.

All stakeholders need to be represented in the WGIG.

Role of the WGIG
•	facilitation of cooperation and communication
between actors
•	gather information from all stakeholders
•	drafting documents

There is a need for regional consultations and Egypt will
host an arab regional meeting in May 2005.

We need a mechanism to allow all individuals around the
world to participate.

Prof. Feriel Beji, Agence Tunisienne d’Internet

Some fundamental features of the Internet should be kept in
mind :
•	The routing is independent of territorial structures.
•	Most of the intelligence is located on the edges of
the network
•	The Internet is based on open standards

We may not agree on a common definition of Internet
Governance, but we may agree on a common set of issues,
among which : Management of IP ressources, technology
standards (IETF), IPR, fraud, offensive content, spam, laws
on electronic commerce.

The debate should involve all stakeholders,  including
private sector, civil society and international
organizations. It should be interesting to try to involve
all actors worldwide in a mechanisms similar to what the
ICANN AtLarge has tried to do.

Prof. Hu Qiheng, Advisor to the Science and Technology
Commission of the Ministry of Information of China, Beijing

Internet Governance is a topic of global importance, be it
only because the Internet has penatrated all aspects of
life.

Internet Governance should be regarded as managing a public
infrastructure.

The Internet has brought many benefits but also dangers like
cybercrime and security issues.

Governments should cooperate with private sector and civil
society.

The Internet has gone through many stages. At first self-
governed and bottom-up. But this cannot be the case any
more. The managment of the domestic internet rests with the
national governments and no entity can be more
representative of the public interest than governments.

We are looking for a mechanism that allows government
leadership. This does not mean control by governments. What
we need is to set up a new pattern based on government
leadership whith full participation of all stakeholders.

China maintains a broad approach to the definition of
Internet Governance :

•	Management of IP addresses and domain names
•	Safety : spam, child ornography, system disturbance,
illegal access, fraudulent use, privacy violation, and
cybercrime in general
•	Safe functionnning of the DNS system, Intellectual
property and sharing of knowledge
•	E-Commerce
•	Convergence of Internet and Telecommunications

These issues should be addressed within the framework of the
UN. There is a lack of an entity in charge of the Internet.
It should be formed within the UN.

Bill Drake, International Centre for Trade and Sustainable
Development

Three main points :

-	start from a holistic understanding of internet
governance
-	set priorities by selecting a small and manageable
set of key substantive issues
-	focus on the state of procedural democracy accross
internet governance mechanisms (tranparency, acountability,
inclusion and fairness).

(Full presentation available online)

Jovan Kurbalija, Diplo, Malta / Geneva.

(Full presentation available online)

Milton Mueller, Syracuse University / Internet Governance
Project

(Full presentation available online)

Ayesha Hassan, International Chamber of Commerce

The ICC has set up an internal working group on Internet
Governance.

The ICC  insists a clear definition of IG should be
established before the wide number of issues are addressed.

The ICC recommends the establishment of a matrix correlating
the issues and the bodies addressing them, building on the
draft matrix it has submitted.

The WGIG should establish rules for active participation of
all categories of stakeholders. It should promote
cooperation between appropriate bodies to prevent overlap.

Priorities :
-	focus on forward-looking challenges, rather than
reopening past debates
-	focus on issues that require global level
intervention
-	governments should produce enabling environments to
address problems where there is market failure
-	the WGIG should be working as a steering committee
and not as a prescribing one
-	focus on identifying gaps

Karen Banks, Association for Progressive Communications

Governance is different from government. In many languages,
they are sometimes the same word. The two notions should be
distinguished to prevent confusion. .

The Internet is bringing transboundary issues.

The Internet is a global commons. It is a platform for a
social interaction that cannot be governed by only one
organization.

Governance through distributed collective action. There is a
complex web of institutions presently involved in the
govenance of the Internet.

Three recommendations :
•	Responsibility of the DoC/ICANN MoU sould be
transferrred to the UN SG for a transitory period
•	ICANN should undertake a wide-ranging reform
•	Creation of an independent multistakeholder body
that could replace ICANN; with transitional arrangements

(Full contribution available online)

Olivier Nana Nzépa, African Civil Society Caucus, Yaoundé

(comments not recorded)

Hans Falk Hoffmann, CERN

We are moving towards seeing the Internet become a Global
Information Utility, like there are water or electricity
utilities.

The first Grid experiment has been conducted with more than
40 interconnected computers.

OpenAccess and OpenArchives projects are providing emerging
standards.

A quote from Vinton Cerf : “the Internet is the mirror of
society. If we do not like what we like in the mirror, we
should not change the mirror but change society.”