PKK TO APPLY TO ICRC & ABIDE BY GEN

root at newsdesk.aps.nl root at newsdesk.aps.nl
Thu Jan 26 21:19:23 GMT 1995

From: newsdesk at newsdesk.aps.nl (Newsdesk Amsterdam)
Subject: PKK TO APPLY TO ICRC & ABIDE BY GENEVA CONVENTION

PKK TO APPLY TO ICRC & ABIDE BY GENEVA CONVENTION

The Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) has issued the foIlowing statement at a
press conference in Geneva, today.

Dear members of the press

May I greet you all on behalf of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK).

Before the eyes of the world there is a war of annihiliation being
conductad in our homeland, Kurdistan. The Turkish republic, since its
foundation has denied the existence of our people with systematic state
policies. The Turkish state which has forbidden the culture, language and
the identity of the Kurdish people, is conducting a war of genocide and
mobilising every possible military means and all its forces.

The PKK, honouring the universal values of humanity, is fighting for the
national and democratic rights of our people. The war is a consequence of
Turkish state policy. ln this filthy and bloody adventure Turkey has
declared the Kurdish people as the prime legitimate military target.

The Turkish state has depopulated Kurdistan: 3,000 villages have been
burned down and millions of people have been forced to flee. The state
forces, unable to vanquish the guerrillla army, is revenging itself on the
civilians with unprecedented severity. 15.000 member of our party are now
facing the death penalty in prisons.

Turkey, as well as disregarding the international conventions that she is
signatory to, also prevents the press, OSCE and international human rights
observers visiting Kurdistan and monitoring the situation for themselves.
The state has refused the lCRC's humanitarian endaavour to visit Kurdistan.
Turkey, even though it is a signatory, has never complied with the 12
August 1949 Geneva Convention and has refused to sign the 1977 protocol 1.

The 10-year war has claimed the lives of 34.000 people. The war has never
been the choice of our party. lt was imposed on our people. We state
categorically: we want this war to end are in favour of a democratic,
equitable and legal solution. This demand was demonstrated by the
declaration of a unilateral ceasefire in 1993 which lasted for 83 days.

Turkey continues to persist in its dirty war.

We will continue to fight until we compel Turkey to seek a political
solution. We call on Turkey to comply with international laws and to cease
its attacks on civilians. The PKK, as a party in this conflict, has always
observed the conventions on war. The relevant application denoting such
acceptance was submitted to the lCCRC and concerned bodies on 23 january
1995 on behalf of the PKK Genaral Secretary Abdullah Ocalan.

The declaration moreover also contains the following points:

1. ln its conflict with the Turkish state forces, the PKK undertakes to
respect the Geneva Conventions of 1949 and the protocol 1 of 1977 regarding
the conduct of hostilities and the protection of the victims of war and to
treat those obligations as having the force of law within its own forces
and the areas within its control.

2. To end any doubt, the PKK regards the following groups as part of the
Turkish security forces and, therefore, as legitimate targets of attack:

a - members of the Turkish armed forces
b - members of the Turkish contra-guerrilla forces
c - members of the Turkish lntelligence Service
d - members of the Turkish gendarmerie
e - village guards

The PKK does not regard civil servants as members of the security forces,
unless they come within one of the above categories.

3. The PKK will treat captured members of the Turkish security forces as
prisoners of war.

4. The PKK will disseminate this statement and the rules of the Geneva
Convention of 1949 and Protocol 1 of 1977 to its forces and asks for the
assistance of the ICRC. lt has adopted a system of discipline to ensure
respect for these rules and the punishment of those who break them. lt
accepts the principle of command responsibility.

The PKK would accept an offer of services from the ICRC.

6. The PKK calls upon the Turkish goverment to give the same undertakings
and to accept an offer for services from the ICRC.

Finally, the PKK calls upon all parties to the Geneva Convention, UN,
OSCE, Council of Europe and ICEC to take necessery steps to end the war or
ensure that the Turkish state and the PKK respect their obligetions under
international law.

On behalf of PKK General Secretary Abdullah Ocalan.

                * Activists Press Service (Newsdesk) *
                          newsdesk at aps.nl
                       !Power to the people!