WORKERS AROUND THE WORLD 6/29/9

kurdeng at aps.nl kurdeng at aps.nl
Mon Jun 26 14:06:40 BST 1995

From: tabe at newsdesk.aps.nl
Subject: Re: WORKERS AROUND THE WORLD 6/29/95

9180; Mon, 26 Jun 1995 14:51:24 -0800

------------------------
Via Workers World Service
Reprinted from the June 29, 1995, issue of Workers World
newspaper
-----------------------

WORKERS AROUND THE WORLD

TURKEY: CIVIL SERVANTS AND KURDISH MPS

The struggle by Turkish civil servants for the right to strike
and collective bargaining continues to escalate. On June 15, over
150,000 demonstrators filled Ankara's business district to
support the civil servants. The Civil Servants' Union (KCSKK) is
calling for a nationwide one-day strike on June 20 to press its
demands.

"We call on all civil servants, not only the unionized ones, to
take part in our action," said Yildirim Kaya of the KCSKK. "We
have to come together on the labor front to get what we want."
Civil servants in Turkey earn about $160 a month. Large parts of
their pay are consumed by an annual inflation of over 80 percent.

In other news, three of eight Kurdish members of
parliament--arrested and serving jail terms on charges of
"separatism"--may be released. Turkey's chief prosecutor admits
that the three were "improperly charged."

The Kurdish people, led by the Kurdish Workers Party (PKK), have
been fighting for an independent Kurdistan. They have faced an
intense extermination campaign by the U.S.-backed Turkish
government.

(Copyright Workers World Service: Permission to reprint granted
if source is cited. For more information contact Workers World,
55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011; via e-mail: ww at wwp.blythe.org. For