Turkey Extends Emergency Rule In Ni

kurd-l at burn.ucsd.edu kurd-l at burn.ucsd.edu
Fri Nov 29 00:04:04 GMT 1996

From: Arm The Spirit <ats at locust.cic.net>
Subject: Turkey Extends Emergency Rule In Nine Provinces

Turkey Extends Emergency Rule In Nine Provinces

ANKARA, Nov 28 (Reuter) - Turkey's parliament on Thursday voted to extend
emergency rule for four months in the southeast, where troops have been
fighting a Kurdish insurgency for more than 12 years.

"Emergency rule has been extended for four months in nine provinces. Let
us hope this is for the last time," deputy parliament speaker Kamer Genc
told MPs after the vote, which was decided on a show of hands.

Prime Minister Necmettin Erbakan vowed earlier this month to lift
emergency rule completely.

The new extension abolished emergency rule in Mardin, bordering Syria,
but the military will have extensive powers there as it adjoins the
emergency rule region.

The four-month extension goes into effect from November 30.

Emergency rule has been in force in 10 provinces since 1987 as part of
Ankara's strategy to combat Kurdish rebels fighting for self-rule in
southeastern Turkey.

More than 21,000 people have died in the conflict between Kurdistan
Workers Party (PKK) rebels and Turkish armed forces.

collective based in Toronto, Canada. Our focus includes a wide
variety of material, including political prisoners, national
liberation struggles, armed communist resistance, anti-fascism,
the fight against patriarchy, and more. We regularly publish our
writings, research, and translation materials in our magazine and
bulletins called Arm The Spirit. For more information, contact:

Arm The Spirit
P.O. Box 6326, Stn. A
Toronto, Ontario
M5W 1P7 Canada

E-mail: ats at etext.org
WWW: http://burn.ucsd.edu/~ats
FTP: ftp.etext.org --> /pub/Politics/Arm.The.Spirit
ATS-L Archives: http://burn.ucsd.edu/~archive/ats-l