PKK Calls For General Mobilization

kurd-l at burn.ucsd.edu kurd-l at burn.ucsd.edu
Wed Sep 25 02:23:40 BST 1996

From: Arm The Spirit <ats at etext.org>

News On The Conflict In South Kurdistan
Translated By Arm The Spirit From 'Kurdistan-Rundbrief' #18/96

Bagdad And Ankara Intervene In South Kurdistan; PKK Calls For "Mobilization"

Following the march of Iraqi troops into South Kurdistan and the U.S.
rocket attacks on southern Iraq, the expected attack by Turkish troops has
begun. MED-TV has reported heavy bombardments and fighting. The Turkish
media have reported that the General Staff are planning a long-term
occupation of Kurdish territory all the way to the Mosul-Kirkuk line. The
PKK, which has condemned Talabani's cooperation with Iran and the West as
well as the KDP's collaboration with the Iraqi regime, has called for a
"mobilization" of all Kurdish forces and has appealed to all Kurdish
parties to set aside their differences.

Ocalan: "The Turkish Army Wants To Occupy South Kurdistan!"

On September 5, 1996, the Chair of the PKK Abdullah Ocalan issued a
statement in which he warned of the impending Turkish invasion:

"The colonial-fascist Turkish Republic has decided to occupy South
Kurdistan. The invasion could begin at any time. Our freedom fighters
should from now on be on a high state of alert to wage holy resistance in
the struggle for victory. I call on our people and all patriotic forces to
stand shoulder to shoulder in this struggle for victory. I wish our
resistance fighters much success and send them my greetings and respect.

"Down with the fascist and colonialist Turkish Republic!
Long live our national struggle for freedom and independence!"

Call To The KDP And PUK For National Unity

The National Liberation Front of Kurdistan (ERNK) has issued a statement
claiming that the real purpose of those supporting the fratricidal stuggle
between the KDP and the PUK is to detroy those territories which have been
liberated by the PKK. According to the statement: "Both Kurdish factions
must not fall into this trap. It is still possible for both the KDP and the
PUK to act in the interest of the Kurdish nation." The ERNK re-issued its
call for all Kurdish national forces to become united.

ERNK Supports Call For Mobilization

The ERNK has stated that the present chance will never be repeated and that
these developments represent an historical opportunity for the Kurdish
people:

"We must carry out a general mobilization to win our independence and
freedom. We support the directive of our leader Abdullah Ocalan of
September 5th, which states that war has been declared on our people and
that our nation must observe a general mobilization. This call by our
leader is the foundation for a new phase of national liberation. In line
with this directive, our patriotic people must utilize all means at their
disposal. The leading cadre of the PKK, the fighters of the ARGK, and Kurds
of all ages are now in a phase of general mobilization following this
directive. All the forces of our people must work towards the victory of
our liberation struggle. All women and men, all of our people who are able
to fight in the mountains, must make their way to the war front. All Kurds,
no matter where they are, must support this stuggle to their utmost
ability. Anyone who wishes to help must do so. A people fighting for its
freedom must takes its responsibilities seriously, from Kurdistan to the
metropoles of Europe. Everyone must be willing to undertake every task.
Especially our people in Europe must not abandon our nation in Kurdistan,
which is currently under the gun. You must show your attention and your
willingness to make sacrifices."

The ERNK has called upon all Kurdish organizations, in the interest of
national unity, to support the ARGK's struggle against the Turkish army.
The ERNK warns against contrary positions: "Any other position which could
benefit the Turkish army or harm our national liberation struggle will
sooner or later be exposed as treason and be judged harshly by our people."

The ERNK has also called on all international democratic and humanitarian
institutions to pay close attention to the war. "These institution should
try to form aid delegations and send observer missions to South Kurdistan."

 ++++ stop the execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal ++++
   ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
     ++++ see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm ++++

collective based in Toronto, Canada. Our focus includes a wide
variety of material, including political prisoners, national
liberation struggles, armed communist resistance, anti-fascism,
the fight against patriarchy, and more. We regularly publish our
writings, research, and translation materials in our magazine and
bulletins called Arm The Spirit. For more information, contact:

Arm The Spirit
P.O. Box 6326, Stn. A
Toronto, Ontario
M5W 1P7 Canada

E-mail: ats at etext.org
WWW: http://burn.ucsd.edu/~ats
FTP: ftp.etext.org --> /pub/Politics/Arm.The.Spirit
ATS-L Archives: http://burn.ucsd.edu/~archive/ats-l