[Telecentres] RE: [Telecentre's] Basic Telecentre Items

Don Cameron donc at internode.on.net
Fri Oct 8 18:39:45 BST 2004

Karin what a moving and wonderful story. I wish the people, especially the
women of Pastocalle all measures of success in achieving these new found
freedoms and hope the Telecentre premises become once again a focus of
community empowerment. Big change happens in little steps and I think the
steps now taken cannot in truth be taken back. We have many similar issues
in remote and indigenous communities and your insight and experience is
invaluable. What I truly hope is that no one considers this Telecentre a
“failure” because it closed; because it did not prove to be socially or
politically sustainable. The value provided in human terms far exceeds the
financial costs involved and success cannot be measured in such a simplistic
manner.

You also wrote: “You call telecentre, i do call also telecentre in the
international scenario but I do not call telecentre in the local scenario,
people call as they feel responds to their cultural reality”.

Again we are in accord. We use the term Telecentre on forums such as this to
provide a name to a concept so people new to the concept can apply a
meaningful descriptor; especially for those who might offer support to
Telecentre’s and need a meaningful name to give to our growing ICT movement
– but like your country, only some of our Telecentre’s are called
Telecentre’s – Many have names like: “Community Technology Centre” (CTC),
“Youth Café”, “Technology and Learning Centre” (TLC), “Drop-in Centre”,
“Community Resource Centre”,  “InfoCentre”, “FarmAid Centre” and “Lighthouse
Centre” (a name preferred by some of our indigenous peoples) amongst a great
many others. The name given to the concept reflects the mission and purpose
of the community as well as a degree of promotions value – The name “FarmAid
Centre” is given as much to highlight the need of our farmers to politicians
as it is to provide community support and assistance. I think we
underestimate the potential of Telecentre’s when we do not include the value
of a Telecentre to promote community needs (as your initiative has done by
promoting the needs of these women to our global audience).

Rgds, Don