[Telecentres] RE: [Telecentre's] Basic Telecentre Items

Toby Beresford toby.beresford at microaid.net
Fri Oct 8 11:09:38 BST 2004

Don

What do your communities mean by "Lighthouse Centre" - what rocks is it
warning people away from? Or is it that this is the place where the
light of the internet can be found?

Thanks

Toby

Don Cameron wrote:

> Karin what a moving and wonderful story. I wish the people, especially
> the women of Pastocalle all measures of success in achieving these new
> found freedoms and hope the Telecentre premises become once again a
> focus of community empowerment. Big change happens in little steps and
> I think the steps now taken cannot in truth be taken back. We have
> many similar issues in remote and indigenous communities and your
> insight and experience is invaluable. What I truly hope is that no one
> considers this Telecentre a "failure" because it closed; because it
> did not prove to be socially or politically sustainable. The value
> provided in human terms far exceeds the financial costs involved and
> success cannot be measured in such a simplistic manner.
>

> You also wrote: "You call telecentre, i do call also telecentre in the
> international scenario but I do not call telecentre in the local
> scenario, people call as they feel responds to their cultural reality".
>

> Again we are in accord. We use the term Telecentre on forums such as
> this to provide a name to a concept so people new to the concept can
> apply a meaningful descriptor; especially for those who might offer
> support to Telecentre's and need a meaningful name to give to our
> growing ICT movement - but like your country, only some of our
> Telecentre's are called Telecentre's - Many have names like:
> "Community Technology Centre" (CTC),  "Youth Café", "Technology and
> Learning Centre" (TLC), "Drop-in Centre", "Community Resource
> Centre",  "InfoCentre", "FarmAid Centre" and "Lighthouse Centre" (a
> name preferred by some of our indigenous peoples) amongst a great many
> others. The name given to the concept reflects the mission and purpose
> of the community as well as a degree of promotions value - The name
> "FarmAid Centre" is given as much to highlight the need of our farmers
> to politicians as it is to provide community support and assistance. I
> think we underestimate the potential of Telecentre's when we do not
> include the value of a Telecentre to promote community needs (as your
> initiative has done by promoting the needs of these women to our
> global audience).
>

> Rgds, Don

Toby Beresford
Managing Director
MicroAid.net - Online centres that encourage local people to get active,
empower communities and engage donors
New! e-book: How to get online donations - Download it free from
http://www.microaid.net/ebook/
tel: +44 (0) 845 057 3371