[Telecentres] Introduction and Basic Telecentres

Don Cameron donc at internode.on.net
Sat Oct 9 21:32:30 BST 2004

Hi Pamela, all

You wrote: (how are the funds and plans for sustainability coming along?) -
"We don't seem to fit into the world of funding somehow... you touched on
this problem for small bottom up initiatives like ours in a previous Email"
(snip).

Eduardo Doryan of the World Bank made the following statement on Behalf of
the World Bank Group to the WSIS: "The International Finance Corporation's
ICT investments average $300 million a year, attracting approximately $8 in
additional private financing for each dollar of IFC funding. The multi-donor
infoDev grant facility has funded over 400 pilot ICT projects since 1995".
(and) "We stand ready to contribute to digital solidarity by mobilizing
additional financing for regional infrastructure initiatives, as well as
targeted and competitively awarded subsidies to increase ICT access to poor
areas beyond what the market can provide on its own, especially in Africa".
(ref: www.itu.int/wsis/geneva/coverage/statements/worldbank/i24.html )

Perhaps an approach to the Bank may offer some opportunity?

Rgds, Don