[Telecentres] WSIS ignorance!

Hannah Beardon Hannah.Beardon at actionaid.org
Mon Oct 11 15:20:50 BST 2004

Can I just quote from the WSIS website:

"Paradoxically, while the digital revolution has extended the frontiers
of the global village, the vast majority of the world remains unhooked
from this unfolding phenomenon. With the ever-widening gulf between
knowledge and ignorance, the development gap between the rich and the
poor among and within countries has also increased."

Does this mean that the WSIS see those who are digitally excluded as
'ignorant' as if there is no vaulable knowledge that does not exist on
the Internet and the information flow needs only to be one way - that is
for those poor ignorant people to receive our welath of knowledge?

If this is so, surely we need to be promoting telecentres as models of
two-way information exchange, documentation of local knowledge etc.  In
my experience this is of equal if not more imoprtance to people in
remote communities as receiveing the information that is out there on
the net.

If this is not so, then we need totell them to change their website.

hannah beardon