[Telecentres] WSIS ignorance!

Taran Rampersad cnd at knowprose.com
Tue Oct 12 13:11:17 BST 2004

Hannah Beardon wrote:

> Can I just quote from the WSIS website:
> "/Paradoxically, while the digital revolution has extended the
> frontiers of the global village, the vast majority of the world
> remains unhooked from this unfolding phenomenon. With the
> ever-widening gulf between knowledge and ignorance, the development
> gap between the rich and the poor among and within countries has also
> increased/."
> Does this mean that the WSIS see those who are digitally excluded as
> 'ignorant' as if there is no vaulable knowledge that does not exist on
> the Internet and the information flow needs only to be one way - that
> is for those poor ignorant people to receive our welath of knowledge?
> If this is so, surely we need to be promoting telecentres as models of
> two-way information exchange, documentation of local knowledge etc. In
> my experience this is of equal if not more imoprtance to people in
> remote communities as receiveing the information that is out there on
> the net.
> If this is not so, then we need totell them to change their website.
> hannah beardon

Err... the way I have read that quote, in context, I would have to say
that the WSIS is supportive of Telecentres. It's identifying a problem,
and lending the WSIS some credibility at the same time. How credible the
WSIS is perceived... well, that's partly up to us.

--
Taran Rampersad

cnd at knowprose.com

http://www.linuxgazette.com
http://www.a42.com
http://www.worldchanging.com
http://www.knowprose.com
http://www.easylum.net

"Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase...The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who do survive"
— Frank Herbert, 'Dune'