[Telecentres] Telecentres; Roles

Taran Rampersad cnd at knowprose.com
Tue Oct 19 13:17:04 BST 2004

I learned a lot from all of you when we were discussing a Telecentre is,
but I think that my folly was in the question. Perhaps I should have
asked what a Telecentre is supposed to do. In getting answers to what a
Telecentre is, I got a lot more information on what a Telecentre is
supposed to do. So I have taken some time, dealt with other things and
really thought about this whole larger concept of Telecentres.

So here's what I think, and I'd like feedback from those willing to
discuss it.

A Telecentre is primarily about connecting people both locally, within
the Telecentre, and throughout the society of mankind. I do not say
globally because it is not too distant in the future where a Telecentre
may deal with communication outside of the globe. The geography of the
world is of know true consequence to Telecentres; the only limits of the
reach of a Telecentre is the ability of the technologies for
communication. So far, these technologies appear to have outstripped our
ability to communicate.

So, we have the true question: In what roles do Telecentres connect people?

(1) In emergency situations.
(2) In non-emergency situations.
(3) Business.
(4) Governance
(5) Exploration.

Exploration is something I just tossed in, but I think it's real and may
be the most prominent of these 5. Exploration can actually encapsulate
all others. In a world that formerly had deep moats of water and
politics prior, we have no such boundaries in communication other than
who we can communicate with.

Would anyone like to expand on this?

--
Taran Rampersad

cnd at knowprose.com

http://www.linuxgazette.com
http://www.a42.com
http://www.worldchanging.com
http://www.knowprose.com
http://www.easylum.net

"Unjust laws have to be fought ideologically; they cannot be fought or corrected by means of mere disobedience and futile martyrdom."
— Ayn Rand