[Telecentres] Telecentres; Roles

Don Cameron donc at internode.on.net
Wed Oct 20 19:25:34 BST 2004

>> Would anyone like to expand on this? (snip)

Hi Taran,

The best explanation I have been able to find outlining the philosophical
approach of Telecentre's comes interestingly enough, from WSIS itself in the
form of a Civil Society document. All your "supposed to do" questions are
IMHO answered by this document available online at:
www.itu.int/wsis/docs/geneva/civil-society-declaration.pdf

This is Civil Society's "Declaration of Principles and Challenges" to WSIS,
prepared to better reflect the views of Civil Society than those offered by
the "TV in every lounge room" Declaration of Principles compiled by
Government and a few private interests. As written by the Civil Society
delegates: "At this step of the process, the first phase of the Summit,
Geneva, December 2003, our voices and the general interest we collectively
expressed are not adequately reflected in the Summit documents. We propose
this document as part of the official outcomes of the Summit".

The following is an extract that I think highlights the concept underpinning
Telecentre's better than any I have seen - So much so that I would like to
propose that representatives of Telecentre's consider tangibly supporting
the Civil Society Declaration.

"At the heart of our vision of information and communications societies is
the human being. The dignity and rights of all peoples and each person must
be promoted, respected, protected and affirmed. Redressing the inexcusable
gulf between levels of development and between opulence and extreme poverty
must therefore be our prime concern. We are committed to building
information and communication societies that are people-centred, inclusive
and equitable. Societies in which everyone can freely create, access,
utilise, share and disseminate information and knowledge, so that
individuals, communities and peoples are empowered to improve their quality
of life and to achieve their full potential. Societies founded on the
principles of social, political, and economic justice, and peoples' full
participation and empowerment, and thus societies that truly address the key
development challenges facing the world today. Societies that pursue the
objectives of sustainable development, democracy, and gender equality, for
the attainment of a more peaceful, just, egalitarian and thus sustainable
world, premised on the principles enshrined in the Charter of the United
Nations and in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

We aspire to build information and communication societies where development
is framed by fundamental human rights and oriented to achieving a more
equitable distribution of resources, leading to the elimination of poverty
in a way that is non-exploitative and environmentally sustainable. To this
end we believe technologies can be engaged as fundamental means, rather than
becoming ends in themselves, thus recognising that bridging the Digital
Divide is only one step on the road to achieving development for all. We
recognise the tremendous potential of information and communications
technologies (ICTs) in overcoming the devastation of famine, natural
catastrophes, new pandemics such as HIV/AIDS, as well as the proliferation
of arms. We reaffirm that communication is a fundamental social process, a
basic human need and a foundation of all social organisation. Everyone,
everywhere, at any time should have the opportunity to participate in
communication processes and no one should be excluded from their benefits".

Rgds, Don