[Telecentres] self introduction

Scott Robinson ssr at laneta.apc.org
Sun Sep 19 20:36:37 BST 2004

Telecentres List colleagues,

Scott Robinson is my name.  I have been active in promoting communicty
telecentros
in Mexico and elsewhere in Latin America since 1997.  At this time, I am
concered re
how to wed the growing migrants' remittance flows with microbanks and
community
telecentros.  This is especially relevant for many Latin American countries
where families
in vast regions now get by with remittance transfers from relatives working
in Canada,
the U.S. and Europe.  And this regional phenomenon appears to stymie
national level policy
makers whose natural focus is on their national territory while ignoring
the emerging
transnational condition of rural and periurban groups.  There are a range
of issues here
of possible interest to many on this list.

I teach social anthropology at a public university in Mexico City and am
active in the
Latin American telecentro network, Somos at Telecentros  www.tele-centros.org

Scott Robinson
www.uam-antropologia.info