[Telecentres] Welcome to the Telecentres Working Group!

Partha Pratim Sarker partha at bytesforall.org
Sun Sep 19 22:22:32 BST 2004

Dear All,

Greetings from Bytes for All !

Glad to see this initiative from Andy and be subscribed to it. I hope it'd
produce a lively and fruitful discussion on tele-center and relevant issues.

This is Partha and I worked to co-found Bytes for All network
(www.bytesforall.org) that has particular interest on issues related to ICT
for Development. An APC member to South Asia, Bytes for All has already
published different Online portal issues including ICT for Public Health,
ICT for Mass Education,  ICT for Disaster Mitigation, Non-English
Computing, E-governance, Rural Connectivity etc. and researched as to how
tele-center as a community access points can work on those issues.B4All
is also in a process to re-develop the website on open source CMS and to
make it more community-driven. B4All is running a content summary project
with major print media based publication groups in South Asia, so that the
content of our lists can go directly to news papers where many millions are
subscribed to.

Apart from that, I'm also involved with UNESCO New Delhi to assist
coordinating few of its Community Multimedia Center (CMC) projects across
South Asia (Please see: http://ictpr.nic.in). CMCs along with community
radio are an important area of focus for UNESCO and it has already
developed an Ethnographic research model to assess and to map the social
needs of functionalities to tele-centers. These CMCs are working in
different conditions and some of these initiatives have already made
considerable impact.

I look forward to hearing others in this network. Best wishes,

Partha