[SPAM] - [Telecentres] School-based telecentres - Uganda - Email found in subject

Hannah Beardon HannahB at actionaid.org
Wed Sep 22 12:43:20 BST 2004

Dear Edmond,

This is an area of particular interest to me, and perhaps we need to
throw it back to the group.

I think the area of impact assessment is really important, as without it
there is no formal downwards accountability and we can carry on
convincing ourselves we are doing great things for the poor and
marginalised without really having to consider what they think and feel
about it.  However it is also the most difficult area, and there are no
right/ wrong ways of doing things.  Instead it is a set of skills
applied and values adhered to.  A recent paper on evaluation of Reflect
(adult literacy and empowerment) argued that evaluation is just a
reflection of the researchers prejudices - who we ask, what we ask and
how we edit the responses - as well as the problem of power
relationships between researchers and participants - with the latter
telling the former what they think they want to hear in order to curry
favour.  I attach the summary of the research with some key issues in
there to provoke more debate.

I think that a large part of the impact we are looking for / at with
telecentres relates to power and power relations.  Information is power
after all! This relates to the relationship people have with the
technology - can they own it and use it to meet their own needs and
motivations, or are they just using it in the way they have been told
to.  If the latter, there may be great initial impacts on livelihoods or
health but the dependency on guidance makes sustainability questionable.

There is much more I could say, but I'll leave it here for now!  Good
luck with your task ahead!

Hannah

Hannah Beardon
Reflect and ICTs Coordinator