[Telecentres] ICT Development Report

Elizabeth Carll, PhD ecarll at optonline.net
Tue Sep 28 09:38:17 BST 2004

Dear Toby, Andy and all,

I think Toby's suggestion is an excellent idea.  I would also propose
further expanding it.  Telecentres can be viewed as providing access to all
content areas and therefore would likely have the support of all of the WSIS
caucuses and working groups.

It may be useful to consider writing a paragraph which describes the need
for ICT accessibility to all of the areas represented within CS WSIS and the
integral role of telecentres in implementing the WSIS Action Plan.  The
paragraph should list all the content and theme areas.  By listing all of
the content and theme areas, we can continue to build on these areas in WSIS
II and beyond, as it is not possible to open up the Declaration and Plan of
Action of WSIS Geneva.

We should then have all of the CS representatives lobby for inclusion of
this important paragraph in the outcome document(s) of  WSIS Tunis.  Since
WSIS needs to be people centered, any document must list the important
content applications necessary to advance the global community, as opposed
to solely being  focused on Internet governance and funding.

I would be happy to draft this paragraph and work with those in this group
who will be drafting a position paper/statement.

Elizabeth

Dr. Elizabeth Carll
Focal Point
International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies;
Chair Media/ICT Working Group,
NGO Committee on Mental Health, New York
Tel: 1-631-754-2424
Fax: 1-631-754-5032
ecarll at optonline.net