[Telecentres] ICT Development Report

Andy Carvin acarvin at edc.org
Tue Sep 28 10:22:45 BST 2004

I think this would be a productive step; by all means, Elizabeth, please
feel free to take a crack at drafting this paragraph.

I think it's important for us to show that telecentres go beyond
offering ICT infrastructure -- that they can be a place of learning,
civic engagement, public health information (like the NEPAD e-school
model), etc. I wonder, though, if all of the content and themes areas
currently within the WSIS CS framework can be tied to telecentre
activities. I'm sure a lot of them can; but all of them? Is it
necessary, for the sake of political expediency, to get all of them
included, or would this seem like we're simply creating a laundry list,
or trying to force the current CS content and themes framework into a
telecentres statement? (Also, if and when the CS bureau is restructured,
wouldn't this impact the list of content and themes areas?)

I don't have a strong feeling either way on this, but it seems we'd want
to be able to back up our vision with real-world examples of how
telecentres can play a role in certain theme areas rather than create a
universal field theory with telecentres tying all the various strings
together...

ac

--
Andy Carvin