[Telecentres] Important: WGIG nominations must besubmittedbymidnight GMT

Andy Carvin acarvin at edc.org
Tue Sep 28 19:14:13 BST 2004

David, I will take your endorsement as seconding Stuart's nomination.

If I am not mistaken, isn't Stuart in Australia? Would it not be better
to have either you or Tai represent small SIDS directly? I don't have an
  opinion on this; just curious.

So now we have four people, one of whom has acknowledged interest in
being nominated. If we don't hear from the other three, we are left with
two choices: going forward with Taran, or submitting the others as well
and hoping they'll say yes after the fact.

At this point I think we should close the nominations, since we would
really be pushing the ettiquette of the process if we submitted more
than four names.

ac

David Leeming PFnet wrote:
> I would like to echo Tai's comments. Small Islands Developing States (SIDS)
> suffer from enourmous challenges caused by small scale, lack of opportunity
> to aggregate demand, high costs, vulnerability to natural disasters, ethnic
> tension, lack of strategy and awareness at policy level etc etc. However, if
> done correctly, "telecentres" can bridge these constellations of islolated
> small communities in many ways. Also backing up Tai's comments further,
> sustainability through multi-sector partnerships is an essential strategy,
> that we have proven in the Solomons. We have self-sustaining Internet-based
> community communications facilities that are sustainable with a monthly
> income of not much more than it costs to buy a bubblejet ink cartridge (@
> AUD 2,000 per litre of ink!!!! - so we use dot matrix printers.....). In
> recent research, we showed that affordability was not a major factor
> affecting utilisation of PFnet. The poorest of the 5 communities researched
> showed the second most utilisation, and all five communities had an average
> income of around USD1 per day or less. Therefore we need the SIDS
> perspective recognised.
>
> David Leeming
> Technical Advisor
> People First Network
> Solomon Islands
>

>  We do not have telecentres
>
>>in the Pacific yet, other than the PFNet in the Solomon Islands. It is
>
> very
>
>>important that we include someone to represent the small island developing
>>states. After all, telecentres will be one strong ICT initiative that can
>>help bridge the digital divide in our countries that are made up of
>
> hundreds
>
>>of smaller islands. I have no objection to the nominated people so far.
>
> But
>
>>it sounds to me that while they are experienced in telecentres etc. they
>
> are
>
>>all from the "highly populated" developing countries. The digital divide
>>cannot be bridged if small island developing states continue to sit on the
>>sidelines. There telecentre issues that are unique to small island
>>developing states. Thanks

Andy Carvin
Program Director
EDC Center for Media & Community