[Telecentres] ICT Development Report

Fuatai Purcell fuatai.purcell at mof.gov.ws
Tue Sep 28 12:43:50 BST 2004

Andy, of course I do remember you. I agree totally with your comments
regarding mapping our group membership and also, I will be very happy to be
the advocate for this group during Govt drafting session.

In drafting session for the WSIS declaration, I was the advocate for
CS-Gender working with Karen, Chat of APC and others.

I gave them feedback from the govt sessions, then asked them to draft
appropriate language for me to take to the Govt drafting session and lobbied
hard to convice the round table!!

I continued to do this until they were happy with the paragraph on Gender
etc. It worked because even if the Drafting Committee finished late at night
or into the early hours of the morning, the girls were still up waiting for
me to give them progress. If they were not happy, they would work while I
sleep then give me another wording to take into the govt drafting session in
the morning.

It was very empowering. So I am willing to do the same for this group during
PrepCOM2 on the way to Tunis, provided that I have people like you and those
of the WGIG to work with me.

In Samoa, the scenario is different when it comes to civil society ICT
initiative such as telecentres. It is the Government that is driving ICT
development in Samoa of telecentres and rural connectivity, but in
partnership with other sectors. The success is due to the fact that our
Prime Minister is the Champion of ICT Developments.

I am organising a large Samoan delegation to the telecentre workshop from
Government (myself), private sector and civil society.

Looking forward to working for this group during govt sessions.