[Telecentres] Working Group

Hakikur Rahman hakik at sdnbd.org
Wed Sep 29 17:59:15 BST 2004

Don Cameron wrote: "In acknowledgement that funds will always be limited, I
believe part of our focus should be to construct a model or formulae to
help determine just where sustainability support and growth is required
(the Solomon Islands?) and where such support is not required and possibly
detrimental to other development (Sydney and surrounds for example). "

The sustainability of these telecentres (we may define them in various
ways) are extremely important as indicated above. Funds are getting
restricted, or difficult to follow through, or even may not support the
stop gap, thus depriving support personnel, and stakeholders from smooth
services. Projects of similar nature in developing country context should
accommodate proper and proven sustainability plan (difficult, perhaps), and
thorough implementation of them from the very day of starting. They should
not reflect the idea of exhaustion of donor funding and disruption of
services, especially not a very practical example for under-privileged
communities.

Regards.
Hakik.

At 04:01 PM 9/29/04, Don Cameron wrote:
> >> Shahiduddin Akbar comments that "Nowhere in the world, Telecentre has
> widely expanded".
>
>Arun I believe the reason for this (an aspect possibly integral to any
>WSIS presentation) is because most early Telecentre’s were developed by
>comparatively affluent communities where the success of the Telecentre
>resulted in conceptual obsolescence and project transformation. There are
>arguably a great many more Telecentre’s today, however we do not call them
>Telecentre’s – These are Internet Cafés, Library PAC’s (Public Access
>Centre’s), BIC’s & BEC’s (Business Incubation and Enterprise Centres) and
>other point-of-presence initiatives born from the original concept of a
>Telecentre. A great many of these societies have also developed to the
>extent where physical points-of-presence are no longer required (wide
>domestic broadband dispersal and other modes of fostering access,
>familiarisation, training and content development). The number of
>Telecentre’s is neither static nor declining
 rather the concept is