[Telecentres] Re: telecentres Digest, Vol 1, Issue 43

Partha Pratim Sarker partha at bytesforall.org
Wed Sep 29 23:57:35 BST 2004

Dear All,

I think one of the wrong policies for the organizations to adopt
tele-centers models is when they consider tele-center as a stand alone
purpose, seemingly to develop tele-centers as access points only for
various range of information. In many cases, I even found organizations
that had already set-up tele-centers are now sweating hard to establish
backward linkage with the community both in terms of its relevance,
adaptability and acceptability. Reasonably many has failed, many has been
silently shut down (leaving behind a mockery of promises to the poor) and
some are still sustaining with funding from multiple sources. But I feel
the growth pattern should be other way round. Tele-centers should rather
emerge as a natural extension of other activities that grassroots
organizations or local entrepreneurs are regularly doing in a particular
community. For example in Bangladesh,  Grameen Bank runs a country-wide
network of women self help groups for micro-finance activities. These women
are already in a cooperative structure and if that can be supported by
community ICT processes (apart from VPP project) to facilitate their
micro-finance related activities or to arrange better livelihoods, then the
system is more likely to sustain. Similarly even in the remotest rural
corner of Bangladesh, you'll find local marketplace (bazaars) which are
often run by Bazaar committee. These bazaar committees (often are elected
bodies) are the already available best examples of local rural
entrepreneurs and should be the mostly likely units to be supported by
community ICTs (namely Tele-center). Often I found its the lack of vision
and the lack of understanding to community development that have made a
wrong leader to deal the issue of tele-center so badly.

Yes, I'm hopeful as someone pointed out we're really in a learning process
and the concept itself is also going through a transition. Best wishes,

Partha