[Telecentres] Re: telecentres Digest, Vol 1, Issue 43

Andy Carvin acarvin at edc.org
Wed Sep 29 15:38:59 BST 2004

I think one of the many exercises we will have to explore is mapping out
the diversity of telecentres -- from rural telecottages to urban
community ICT production centers, to everything in between -- and what
other activities would we consider (or not consider) within our frame of
work.

The wireless example is a good one. I'm at MIT this week, and it's a
pleasure taking my laptop anywhere on campus and being fully connected
to the internet. Other neighborhoods in Boston have free public wi-fi as
well, and the city of Philadelphia is building a city-wide wi-fi
network. Does this make it a telecenter? No. Does this mean it's not an
important aspect of bridging the digital divide? I'd say it's quite
important. But it's still different than a telecentre. It's more like
ubiquitous public computing, minus the curriculum and community.

To me, telecentres, telecottages, CTCs, etc, provided added value beyond
a PC connected by a wire (or a signal) to the Internet. It's their
people, their educational courses, their community activities, their
civic engagement, and their neighborhood leadership that make them a
telecentre. I think in an ideal world, we would all have equitable,
ubiquitous access to the Internet at home and wirelessly, but even if we
did, telecentres would still serve as community institutions in which
people could come together to get hands-on training, learn about new
technologies, co-produce community content, and other activities you
would associate with a non-ICT community center, but in an ICT context.

Or, to offer a gross simplication:

community + knowledge production + learning + ICTs = telecentre

Perhaps what we would eventually want to do is offer a broad concept of
what telecentres and related public community ICT centres can contribute
to the world, then outline related activities that are somewhat
different from telecentres but still within their sphere of interest,
such as ubiquitous public wifi, community networks, etc.

ac

--
Andy Carvin