[Telecentres] RE: [Telecentre's] Basic Telecentre Items

Subbiah Arunachalam arun at mssrf.res.in
Thu Sep 30 16:15:26 BST 2004

Oh! the rat traps again. In 1992 MSSRF had a dialogue on information
technology and development. Prof. Swaminathan was thinking of the optimal
ways of pressing ICTs into service in rural areas. He felt that these
technologies have come to stay and if we did not take advantage of them, we
would be pushed behind even further. After all, the developing countries of
today were once colonised by other countries which were able to take
advantage of the Industrial Revolution technologies quickly.

Some in the audience were not sure whether a developing country needed these
new technologies, especially to bring about rural development. One of them
said, it is difficult to set up nd maintain computers in villages. He sad,
rats might chew the cables!

Coming to the list making exercise: You can add anything and everything to
such a list. What is important is to understand what a telecentre is and
what roles it can play.

All that a telecentre does is to reach information that is relevant to a
community quickly using different technologies, both old and new.
Techonology means much more than computers and Internet. Radio, public
address system, different communication technologies, community newspapers,
and much more.

A telecentre is not set up in a vacuum. It is set up to serve PEOPLE, who
live in a CONTEXT or SETTING. They HAVE NEEDS. And they can use information
to meet those needs. Often the information is locale specific. And needs to
be in local language.

Mere information is not enough though. We need to create livelihood
opportunities. Which brings in training, capacity building, credit, setting
up small scale enterprises, marketing, and so on.

Development is holistic and not piecemeal. We need to look at it as a
comprehensive whole and then we will get a clear idea of what a telecentre
is and what it can do.

And, of course, we should learn to live with the rats in peace.

Arun
[Subbiah Arunachalam]