[Telecentres] Telecentre research - South Africa

Tracey Naughton tracey at traceynaughton.com
Tue Feb 8 01:27:16 GMT 2005

Hello WSIS Telecentre People

I have been involved in WSIS and will be at the PrepCom in Geneva this month
from the 13th to 26th. I am hoping that some of you may be willing to be
interviewed on Telecentres you are involved in, for a South African research
project. If you would like to respond to the request below and are going to
the PrepCom, I would be very grateful if you could say so on the list so I
can book time with you.

Here's the story:

I am part of a team currently doing some research for a South African based
donor which is considering putting funds and other resources into
telecentres.

Part of my research is developing case studies of international models. I
want to cover 5 Telecentres that have different sources of support. However
I would like to find 5 that are set in social contexts where poverty and
illiteracy are paramount. These will best inform the rural scenario here.

I will attend the Telecentre meeting scheduled for the 23rd Feb, but I hope
to speak to people in the week before that, if there are people present who
could speak to me in more detail about telecentres that match the criteria.

I am finding that much of what I can find on the net is overview and often
does not reflect on problems that we would like to be aware of in southern
Africa.

If you will be at the PrepCom and willing, can you say so, and if you won't
be there but would be willing to engage by email, please also let me know.

Thanks

Tracey Naughton
(Chair WSIS CS Media Caucus)

Nyaka - Communication & Development
Tracey Naughton
Consultant
201 Somerset Hall
239 Oxford Road
Illovo  2196
South Africa

Phone/fax:    +27 (0) 11 880 5030
cell:                 +27 (0) 82 821 1771
Email:              tracey at traceynaughton.com