[Telecentres] RE: Con't - ICTs & Disaster Risk Reduction/Protectingcommunities

Elizabeth Carll, PhD ecarll at optonline.net
Wed Jan 5 11:30:44 GMT 2005

BTW, many folks have already begun sending health and mental information to
relief workers and survivors to help the survivors of the Asian Tsunami.
This would not be possible without the development of ICTs.  The immense and
immediate response of aid is a direct put come of the evolution of ICTs.  As
Don pointed out ICTs are integral to saving lives and rebuilding in the wake
of disasters.

The drafting of the statement may be slowed down due to focus on the
tsunami, however, there are many people who would like to help, but cannot
due to the distance and logistics.  Planning for the future by developing
appropriate ICT protocols is a useful way to help as well.

Elizabeth

Dr. Elizabeth Carll
Focal Point to WSIS
International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies;
Chair, Media/ICT Working Group,
NGO Committee on Mental Health, New York