[Telecentres] Forum for Telecenters of Asia

partha partha at bytesforall.org
Tue Nov 1 23:34:52 GMT 2005

Very good idea, Shahid.Glad to see this coming up... Would like to
highlight few things that you've pointed out.

1. Yes, it needs to be as open and participatory as possible, so that all
legitimate tele-centre groups with whatever focuses they have, can join the
platform without hesitation. Probably, their participation needs to be
ensured through the governance structure of this forum too. I mean when we
talk about Asia, we've to take into consideration the confidence of
majority tele-centre experiments in the region, otherwise it'd be difficult
to represent them. Anyway, its probably a question of mechanism and we
certainly can work on that.

2. Talking about Asia, there are so many diversified experiments going on
and there should be a way to map those first. For example. Mission 2007
plans to cover 100,000 village centres (and telecentre.org is also a
partner to this initiative) in India, UNESCO has a strong focus on CMC
projects (http://ictpr.nic.in) in Asia and had been working to this
direction for quite a long time now, IDRC has a long background of
partnering with different telecentres in the region, Nepal has a long
tradition of setting up community radio stations, many of which may have
turned into tele-centres as well. In South East Asia, particularly in
Philippines, Cambodia many telecentres projects have been integrated with
social entrepreneurship models. Obviously there are other individual
streams in the region as well. So a study on mapping the initiatives would
be important step to know who is doing what, how and where?

3.  We probably have to take the call beyond this list. Cause not all
telecenter projects/initiatives are subscribed to this list, neither
they're going to WSIS. So we have to initiate a process to reach them and
to get them connected to a platform which is meant for them.

Anyway, this are my inputs for the time being. Will send more inputs...

Partha Pratim Sarker
Co-founder, Bytes for All network
http://www.bytesforall.net