[Telecentres] MCI Center & 'near on' [Wsis-pct] Announcement Club of Rome at WSIS

Rudy Rusdiah rusdiah at rad.net.id
Thu Nov 10 02:04:23 GMT 2005

Dear all,

Very interesting... and thanks Raoul for sharing the story on Unesco and
Club of Rome Conference.

We have been trying to find the best terminal for internet access in
developing countries such as Indonesia, where penetration of PC and
Internet subscriber is still under 2%.
We have been using  cyber cafe (we call it Warnet in Indonesia)  in
urban cities and telecenter in rural area. Our associations  facilitates
members that own cybercafe ( we call it Warnet in Indonesia) and
Telecenter in rural town, mostly government and donor subsidies.
note: Association name: APWKomitel ( Association of Community Internet
Center or for more info click:  (
http://www.wsis-online.net/smsi/organization/organization-view?group_id=326287

)

We also develop a model that we called "Multipurpose Community Internet
Center" or MCI Center... our vision of public/community access center or
model of future Warnet(cybercafe). We share experiences running
cybercafe business for nonprofit telecenter in rural towns and wrote the
book about it , klik :
(
http://www.wsis-online.net/smsi/classes/won/projects/won-projects-480011/project-view

)
We try to promoto our directory of public internet center , online
version can be found by clicking the map at http://www.apwkomitel.org
The Directory will help people in community to find nearby  public
internet center or warnet, we called this concept 'near on' , as opposed
to 'always on'

It interesting to hear about what Negroponte is doing.... in our mailing
list we have hot and lengthy debate of whether we should use affordable
second or used PC ?
Hope to see you all on Friday, November 18.

We also have a small event at the WSIS Partnership Launch Pad Pavilion
on Connecting the World that  described our projects and MOU public
private partnership and multistakeholder partnership on November 16,
2005 at 14:00-14:30

Hope we can share experiences and cooperations during the WSIS Tunis
Summit. See you all at the summit next week.

Regards, Rudi Rusdiah - APWKomitel - Association of Community Internet
Center - Indonesia