[Telecentres] Special session details

Mark Surman msurman at commons.ca
Thu Oct 13 11:48:24 BST 2005

Hi Shahid

I would second your call for the focus on telecentres as a major part of
the way forward for ICT4D, and the need to come up with something
concrete at WSIS.

FYI, IDRC's telecentre.org program is hosting a series of Telecentre
Leaders Forum workshops at WSIS. We're hoping that these participatory
sessions will bring people together to discuss the exactly kind of
telecentre collaboration you describe.

Info on the workshops is included below. We welcome anyone who is on
this list + attending the Tunis summit to get involved ...

Cheers ... MS

---

Hi ...

We at telecentre.org are very pleased to invite you to a special
networking event, the Telecentre Leaders Forum (TLF), which will take
place at the World Summit of the Information Society (WSIS) in Tunis,
from November 14 to 19, 2005.

WHAT IS THE TELECENTRE LEADERS FORUM?

The Telecentre Leaders Forum is a series of four 2-hour long
participatory workshops for telecentre and network leaders,
policy-makers, researchers and grassroots practitioners to share
experiences, inspiring stories and practical ideas that they can use in
their day-to-day work.

It will provide an opportunity to learn, share and collaborate on topics
such as: grassroots experiences; reviewing different telecentre models;
training and leadership development; business models and sustainability;
and the future of telecentres. With an emphasis on peer-to-peer learning
and relationship building, the event will also build the foundations for
a global network of networks supporting the telecentre movement.

We hope that you will be able to join us and others from all types of
telecentres and community technology initiatives to share your stories,
experiences and knowledge in any or all of these events.

WHO SHOULD ATTEND?

The TLF is an event for people who are passionate about the power of
telecentres. This will include grassroots practitioners working on the
cutting edge as well as people who are leading telecentre networks.
Policy makers and researchers are also invited to attend, with the hope
that they will both learn from and interact with grassroots
practitioners. If this sounds like you, then you should attend.

HOW CAN I ATTEND?

If you would like to attend these Telecentre Leaders Forum workshops,
please RSVP to Claire Buré at IDRC (cbure at idrc.ca) by October 31, 2005.

In your e-mail, please indicate whether or not you will attend all four
sessions, as well as the goals you have for the workshops. We'll use
your input to refine the agenda and ensure that it meets the needs of
all participants.

The workshop will be taking place in Global Knowledge Partnership Forum,
Expo Room 9. Sessions are scheduled for:

•    Tuesday, November 15th  - 12:00-14:00
•    Wednesday, November 16th - 16:00-18:00
•    Thursday, November 17th - 16:00-18:00
•    Friday, November 18th - 10:00-12:00

For more information and for updated information about the event, please
visit: http://www.idrc.ca/en/ev-86679-201-1-DO_TOPIC.html

Note: If you would like to attend WSIS on your own funds, but need an
official invitation letter for VISA purposes, please contact Claire Buré
at cbure at idrc.ca

WHAT ELSE IS TELECENTRE.ORG DOING AT WSIS?

Additionally, the official telecentre.org project launch will be held at
the Global Knowledge Partnership Pavilion on November 17 from 14:00 to
16:00. It will consist of brief presentations by IDRC, Microsoft and
SDC. A light cocktail will be provided. For more information, please
see: http://www.idrc.ca/en/ev-86698-201-1-DO_TOPIC.html

For more information about IDRC’s ICT4D program events, please see:
http://www.idrc.ca/wsis

--

Mark Surman
Managing Director - telecentre.org