[Telecentres] telecentre.org launches an e-book and an online contest

partha at bytesforall.org partha at bytesforall.org
Wed Jul 12 15:05:01 BST 2006

Email blast:
telecentre.org is launching the From the Ground Up living e-book: a publication filled with inspiring stories about telecentres around the world.

To reflect the telecentre movement and its diversity, we want you to get involved by sharing your story and enriching the e-book by participating in our contest. Send a written story, picture, or an audio clip by August 31, 2006 to enter.

The best contributor in each language will win a 30GB video iPod that can be used as a hard drive, to share pictures, record audio (with a microphone) and listen to music! The second and third place winners in each language will
receive a digital camera! All submissions will be shown online and top submissions will be published in the upcoming CD-ROM version of the e-book!

This is your chance to have others around the world learn about the great work of your telecentre.

Find out more about the e-book and contest:  http://ebook.telecentre.org/contest

For questions and to make email submissions (text entries only please) send to contest at telecentre.org. If submitting by email be sure to include your name and contact info.

The telecentre.org online community is hosted by TakingITGlobal, the world's largest globally-focused online community for youth.

The telecentre.org online community is a part of the telecentre.org program: a collaborative social investment initiative that aims to improve the capacity and sustainability of telecentres around the world. The program is operated by IDRC in close collaboration with Microsoft and SDC.

Press release:

telecentre.org/TakingITGlobal.org

19 Duncan St., Suite 505

Toronto, On, M5H 3H1

Canada
(416) 977-9363

www.telecentre.org

www.TakingITGlobal.org

For immediate release

Press release

TELECENTRE.ORG LAUNCHES AN E-BOOK AND AN ONLINE CONTEST

Toronto, On, 10 July 2006 - telecentre.org is launching the electronic version of the book From the Ground Up, a piece collecting images, stories and experiences from users and members of the telecentre movement around the world. To celebrate the launch and in a bid to reflect the diversity of the movement, telecentre.org is inviting contributors in three languages English, French and Spanish at http://ebook.telecentre.org/contest .

Best contributors in each language will have the chance to win a 30GB video iPod or a digital camera as they enrich the book which is designed to evolve and include multiple authors and perspectives. These prizes constitute the very
tools used by people on the ground to document events, store and share information and their daily experiences. All submissions will be shown on the "living section" of the e-book and the top submissions will also be included in
the upcoming CD-ROM version of the e-book. The e-book will continue to evolve thanks to the growing global telecentre movement.

A telecentre is a place where the public can come together to access the internet and learn new skills to empower themselves. Through telecentres, people can make global connections and develop their local communities. “We
believe the telecentre is the soul of the villages. So as the needs of the village evolve, the telecentre evolves with them” said Boda János, Hungary telecentre Director.

Connecting all the local telecentres to build an online ecosystem is the goal of telecentre.org and the e-book aims to represent the state of this movement. Malick Sawadogo, ICTD expert in Burkina Faso said "Through this contest,
telecentre managers and leaders will get expertise about good practice, innovation and solutions to certain problems.” The e-book contest will get more people engaged and aware of the telecentre movement.

The e-book is a new media approach to writing a collaborative book. Instead of letting the book stay in a linear, static medium, telecentre.org is using online collaboration and distribution to ensure that the book is changing with the movement.

>From the Ground Up, was originally developed through a partnership between International Development Research Centre (IDRC) and the Education Development Center’s (EDC) Digital Divide Network. The book is a part of the telecentre.org project. Join the movement, be part of it!

Contact:

Kate Raynes-Goldie

Online Strategy Project Lead

TakingITGlobal

(416) 977-9363

kate at takingitglobal.org

The International Development Research Centre is a Canadian Crown corporation that works in close collaboration with researchers from the developing world in their search for the means to build healthier, more equitable, and more
prosperous societies.

The Digital Divide Network is the Internet's largest community for educators, activists, policy makers and concerned citizens working to bridge the digital divide.

TakingITGlobal is an online community that connects youth to find inspiration, access information, get involved, and take action in their local and global communities.