[Lac] WGIG

Taran Rampersad cnd at knowprose.com
Sun Sep 19 00:40:49 BST 2004

Federico Heinz wrote:

>On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 13:51, Taran Rampersad wrote:
>

>>I'll just add that all this SPAM of products is a major problem in the
>>Caribbean region. That's a definite WGIG issue.
>>

>I'm not sure I agree. While spam is indeed a growing problem, I'm not
>sure I'd like a "governance" body decide for me what I should think is
>spam, and what not. The potential for censorship is too large. Spam is
>most likely (and much more legitimately) to be dealt with by
>technological measures under each user's control anyway.

I disagree. SPAM is an IG issue as well, since SPAM tends to originate
from certain areas of the world, for products from certain areas of the
world.
So at a meta level, it must be addressed. Not *solved*, but a stance
must be taken on it.

>If spam is to become an issue in the discussion of Internet Governance,
>I think our position ought to be to exclude it from the discussion and
>leave it to the users and their ISPs.

I disagree in methodology. It should not be excluded from discussion; it
should be included and proposals should be made as the output. This
could be one of the proposals.

If we do all the WGIG's work beforehand, we won't need to send
representatives. Let's leave something for people to do. Things get
boring in working groups, an animated discussion on sexual enhancement
drugs might make for a good break. ;-)

--
Taran Rampersad

cnd at knowprose.com

http://www.linuxgazette.com
http://www.a42.com
http://www.worldchanging.com
http://www.knowprose.com
http://www.easylum.net

"A business that makes nothing but money is a poor kind of business."— Henry Ford