[Telecentres] Important: WGIG nominations must be submittedbymidnight GMT

Fuatai Purcell fuatai.purcell at mof.gov.ws
Tue Sep 28 11:42:07 BST 2004

Andy, I think we shoul not select anyone who we have not heard from because
we don't know if they will accept it or not.
I recommend Stuart Mathison, programme manager of FDC who is organising the
telecenter workshop for the Pacific to the WGIG. We do not have telecentres
in the Pacific yet, other than the PFNet in the Solomon Islands. It is very
important that we include someone to represent the small island developing
states. After all, telecentres will be one strong ICT initiative that can
help bridge the digital divide in our countries that are made up of hundreds
of smaller islands. I have no objection to the nominated people so far. But
it sounds to me that while they are experienced in telecentres etc. they are
all from the "highly populated" developing countries. The digital divide
cannot be bridged if small island developing states continue to sit on the
sidelines. There telecentre issues that are unique to small island
developing states. Thanks