[Telecentres] Re: Basic Telecentre Items - avoid open source debate

Taran Rampersad cnd at knowprose.com
Thu Sep 30 17:35:17 BST 2004

Toby Beresford wrote:

> In my experience there is often still a big gap between software and
> end-users - the gap between some software and end-users is still
> fairly large, the smallest gap between user and function,(i.e. easiest
> to use by novice users) tends to be in software that is highly
> engineered - hotmail, outlook, word, netscape, amazon, ATM bank
> machines etc. Linux is still really a power tool for techies.
> Personally I don't think we should limit what telecentres can achieve
> by waiting for the right software to be built for us, we need to build
> appropriate solutions ourselves.

Before we even get into this debate - and it is a debate I will
participate in - perhaps we should define what functions Telecenter
software should perform. Then we can get into the details.

Personally, I think people will be hard pressed to find software for
Telecentres which does not exist yet as Free Software/Open Source, but
we can't be 100% sure until we define the functions.

--
Taran Rampersad

cnd at knowprose.com

http://www.linuxgazette.com
http://www.a42.com
http://www.worldchanging.com
http://www.knowprose.com
http://www.easylum.net

" It requires greater courage to preserve inner freedom, to move on in one's inward journey into new realms, than to stand defiantly for outer freedom."— Rollo May